Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A day out of town

When we decided to move to Tx, I told Randy that while we were here, I really wanted to explore this state with the kids and learn and experience as much as we could. That was a grand idea but by the time you get involved in sports and activities, life just gets away from you and we really haven't seen anything at all. Luckily, my husbands an avid soccer fan so when I suggested we travel to Abilene to watch the local high school soccer team play (we're friends with the coach so we're groupies), he fell for it hook, line and sinker. I knew that we weren't just going for the game but #1 to experience Abilene and #2 to go to Red Robin (one of my favorite restaurants in AZ that I miss so much)

Everything in TX is so far, so it was a long 2 1/2 hour drive but we had a great day and I feel really good about actually getting out of our city and seeing other things. OK, it was just one other thing but we're making progress.

We decided to go to Frontier Texas which is a museum that told the history of some of the key explorers and first frontier men that were here. It was really neat and had lots to see. The kids loved it and we all learned a lot.

Lots of buffalo were here
Of course the Cheyenne Indians once covered this land so we had to take a picture by the Teepee.
One of the coolest things about this museum is they had several holographic images throughout. This is a cool one of a famous Indian man.
This girl was my favorite. Since I am sort of partial to Native Americans and I just love their story. This girl was actually captured by the Cheyennes when she was young and then lived her life with the tribe. She completely took on their customs and rituals and actually married an Indian chief and had 2 children. One of the children grew up to be a chief as well and was a HUGE influence in the relationships between the government and Cheyenne tribe. She was rescued back by the US government and after several attempts of trying to get back to her tribe, she lived her life alone and depressed, never able to adjust to the typical American culture.


The stagecoach used in Little House on the Prairie, 3 Amigos and other famous shows and movies
At the tavern. lol

Oh he's so cute.
They had this really neat 360 degree movie that changed from a movie, to displays behind the screens to other holographic images. It was pretty awesome.
Kisses from Dad
Riding the horse, only she wishes she could actually ride a REAL horse.
Had to take a picture by the buffalo for all of our SD family. We love you!!
What a beauty!!! :}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This place look's like so much fun...Misty