Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A day in Lubbock

So while R's parents were here we decided to head out of town for the day and check out Lubbock. We had a really fun time and packed in a lot.

First stop.... Joe's Crab Shack. It was yummy but I didn't get my King Crab leg fix that I've been craving. Still on the hunt for those.
Next stop, Buddy Holly Center (Museum). It's funny because of course I've heard of Buddy Holly but didn't really know a lot about him. Of course, after going through the museum you realize how many songs he actually made popular. You couldn't take any pictures inside the museum, so I can't show you anything there but it was still interesting. Buddy Holly was born and raised in Lubbock and made over 20 hit songs in the less than 24 mo. that he was popular.
And his famous glasses (those are actually in the museum)

Next stop was the Silent Wings Museum. This was more for R's parents but was still pretty interesting for all of us. This museum is dedicated to the preservation and history of the WW II Glider program. Flying the gliders was a dangerous job but they felt it was a better war tactic because they were able to surprise attack the enemy without the noise of a regular plane.

A loved all the historical weapons
Inside a glider

A restored glider

Next stop was Prairie dog town. That was a really fun place to just check out and it's just fascinating out complex these creatures are. They have tons of underground tunnels and are smart enough to build different "rooms" for different functions (garbage room, nursery, sleeping area etc...)
Baby Prairie dog.... so cute
I love how they were all just sitting up like this.
That's a Momma and her baby. I think the baby is nursing actually.... but we just say the Mom was giving the baby a kiss. :}


I love this picture of R :}
This one is by far my favorite. Somedays don't we just feel like this?? He was pooped!!
What you talking about me, Willis???

1 comment:

Our 3 Monkees said...

Oh the Prairie dogs are so cute!! Man we re gonna be busy when we finally make it there for a visit, lots I wanna see around there. =)