Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dallas Trip- Day 1

Ever since we moved to Tx, we've been dying to explore the state a bit. It's always a good thought but by the time you include church activities, soccer, sports and of course there's always that money thing, we've really had a hard time going anywhere. So we finally committed to doing it and we decided Dallas was going to be our destination. (I've been taking a photography course so I went a little nuts on pictures- more on that later) We couldn't wait to get out of town and finally see someplace else. We left Thursday after work and didn't get home until late on Sunday. Of course, I'm always designated as the tour guide which is fun for me.... but it's becoming a little more challenging. I always want to do something educational for all of us, the kids want to do something fun, I want to do or experience something that is unique to the town we go to and R just prefers to relax and rejuvenate at the hotel. To get all these things in without spending a mint and without overcommitting our selves, time wise can get tricky. Here are some pictures from our great adventure.
First stop: To tour the Bureau of Engraving (where they make the dollars) There are only 2 places in the country that do this, Fort Worth and D.C. It was amazing to see all that money in one place. Like millions and millions of dollars. We couldn't obviously take in any cameras or phones so this is the only picture we got. We did luck out though because this particular day they had people from D.C. that actually engraved the stamp (that creates the dollars), money recuperators and lots of other job specific people. Very fascinating. I always tell the kids wherever we go to learn 1 new thing and then we discuss it after our trip. My New Fact: Money does not actually become money until it is sent to the vault. Then it is recorded and the serial numbers are put into the system.
Spot #2- Fort Worth Stockyards. This was purely historical and a little boring for the kids but at least we can say we've been there, right?? Lots and Lots of people!!!
Probably the prettiest prisoner you've ever seen.


J and I are huge fans of the Amazing race so this was fun for us.
The train coming into town.
Oh yeah, this was a fun store. Candy everywhere!!




The little ones got to ride horses, which they were soo excited about.
Look how excited he is.

The Cattle drive. Twice daily they drive the cattle down the road for all to see. It was pretty neat.... again I'm glad to say we've seen and done it now.

J and I did the maze. It was soo fun and very confusing. We had to find 4 letters (MAZE) all in different hidden locations and it was TIMED. J and I did it in 13 min. and we were both sweating when we were done. Very fun!!
Fact number #2- This was once the second largest cattle trading area. It was also the first stop after and before the LONG cattle drives out west.

1 comment:

Our 3 Monkees said...

So cool, what a fun and BUSY first day, pictures are looking good, they have more pop. =)