Friday, February 3, 2012

Our new journey.

So do you have a bucket list?? I don't really have one, it's more like a list of things I want to do but it's in my head and changes all the time. Most of my "to-do's" include some kind of travel but I do have a few Non- travel things on it as well. But, one thing that has never been on my bucket list is to read the Bible. I know, I know it may sound bad but I'm a concepts kind of gal and I am happy enough going to church on Sunday and having the pastor sum up Genesis for me, instead of me hunkering down to read it all. I've tried it before but I get lost in the thee and thou's and really get sort of bored. However, with all that being said I would like to be more proficient in Bible verses. I would love to be one of those people who could recall a Bible verse and use it on a day when I need to be reminded about forgiveness, my callings, God's love etc...

So a few weeks ago, our church said they were offering a Read the Bible in 90 days program and our pastor encouraged the whole church to do it. Of course, I looked around at everyone else to see who he was talking to because I sure wasn't interested in the challenge. I have just come off reading a book by my favorite author and it was sooo good and to read the Bible was a far cry to what I had planned to do. Then it hit me. He was talking to ME!!! Like I've said before, I've learned over the last 2 years that we must walk through doors that God opens for us. So what did I do.... jumped in with 2 feet. R and I both did, which makes it even more fun. You can, of course, read any Bible but they also have one specifically set up for this program and luckily for me, it's all written in words I can understand. We bought the Bible, the study guide and the Kindle version to make sure there were NO excuses and we both started on Sunday. It's about 12 pages a day and by April 29th we will have completed reading the ENTIRE Bible. Now, this program is NOT a Study of the Bible but basically a reading of the Bible. There is a study guide to go with it and we meet with a group once a week to go over what we read and answer any questions we may have but when I'm done I don't intend to understand it all, just say I read it all. :} My main goal was to come out of it with a few more Bible verses that I can use down the road when I need to but 4 days in, I can already see that I will come out of it with WAY more than that. R is reading it too and he's just been so enthralled that he's way ahead of our scheduled readings and I am amazed, I'm pretty excited about it too. This Bible actually reads like a book and so far God and Nicholas Sparks (my favorite author) have me both hooked. A lot of our friends are reading it as well so it's been fun to have accountability partners everywhere, at the gym, church, soccer games, school etc...

So we just wanted to let you know what we'll be busy with for the next 90 days. Please keep us in your prayers that we stay focused and complete our goal and that God shows us what he wants us to get out of this journey. We're really excited and when we're done we'll have to give you a recap of how it all went. If you are interested at all about the program, here is the link to their website:

www.biblein90days.org


3 comments:

The Olson Family said...

Oh I am so excited S!!! This is going to be so amazing for you and R!!! God will show you so many things that he wants you both to hear/see. God will bless this time you are going to have in His word and the time you and R are having together.

Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted amoung the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Ps 46:10

He longs for a realtionship with us!

Praying for you both during this time!

Our 3 Monkees said...

So awesome! Now you have me wanting to do it. Because to be honest i have always felt the same way you do about it. =) Keep us posted on how it goes. Ill be praying for you.

BTW Mindy I love what you wrote. =)

Anonymous said...

And to think I don't go to church and already read it!! Cool!!!